Sunday, May 13, 2007

Community

Community, it's a word that we often don't think about, but to me it's become very important. Since college I have realized the importance of community in my life. During college I was blessed with being part of the Catholic Newman Center community. Newman became my place of refuge from the stresses of college. I had a group of friends that were sharing like experiences as well as our faith. Whether it be for Mass, organized activities like Choir and CSA or just random social activities in the lounge, it was a grounded place for me to go. Some of my best friends today are people that I met through this community.

Since college however I've noticed that there has been something lacking in my life and now I think I've figured it out. It's community. As much as I would like to say that I'm self reliant and independent, I still need community in my life as well. The problem is that I haven't found anything even remotely like my college community. It seems that nothing I have tried has fit me well. Most of the communities that I've tried being a part of have not worked for one simple reason, the people involved aren't at the same point in life as I am. Even the local Parish community hasn't really filled the niche. I have trouble understanding why people don't want to give more than an hour to the Parish during the week. I also don't understand where the young adult Catholics are hiding. Surely I can't be the only one in Jacksonville that is younger than 45. Surely there are others out there that are seekers too.

Ok so I know that this little blurb isn't going to change much, but it feels good to write it out and ponder it. Maybe someone will give me a hint of where I should be looking. Maybe my community that I'm seeking is desperately looking for me... or maybe it's hiding under a rock or something.

No comments:

Post a Comment