Sunday, October 29, 2006

DAEC Day 1

Ok so today was the first day of the Springfield Diocese Adult Education Conference. This is the first time that I've taken the time to go and I'm glad that I did. The day started with a prayer service that was just awesome. Lots of good music and the Sister that gave the reflection was very insightful. That led into the Keynote by Christopher West. I've heard a lot of things about the Theology of the Body and about him, but this was the first time I'd heard him speak. He is a very charismatic and informative speaker. I'm looking forward to tomorrow morning when he speaks again. The fact that the Theology of the Body is not the stereotypical traditional Catholic line of sex is bad and shameful is very hopeful for the Church.

Due to the morning liturgy going over I missed my first breakout session, but I did go to Donna Dousman's session on marriage and relationships in the afternoon which was very good.

After the second session we had Mass with Bishop Lucas. The music was very good with all sorts of instruments and a full choir. It's always a joy to go to a Mass where EVERYONE is being a full participant. Ah Newman how I miss your Wednesday night Masses. I ended up being drafted as a Eucharistic Minister which proved to be interesting as we had to consume the remaining Body and Blood. One of the other Eucharistic Ministers had a lot of Blood left in the chalice and asked me to consume it. I know in college we used to call it a "party with Jesus" after Mass when we consumed the remaining Body and Blood, but with the amount of Blood left in that chalice I almost felt like I was chugging Jesus. Hmm Maybe tomorrow they'll estimate better. ;-)

The night was topped off with an awesome concert with John Angotti. He's like a Billy Joel Catholic musician. Awesome piano player and great composer.

Tomorrow I'm taking off work to go to the second day of the conference. I think it's definitely worth it. I wish they had more breakout session time slots, but I know they're trying to leave lots of free time to go to the conference floor to see the various vendors. My only other wish is that they had more for liturgists and musicians since they advertise it for both, but most of the classes are either generic or geared towards Catechists.

Well I should get to bed now. I have to be in Springfield tomorrow around 7:30am for the start of the conference.

No comments:

Post a Comment