Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Autumn Leaves

I've been meaning to write this for some time and always forget by the time I get to a time that I can write. Every day for work I drive around 70 miles round trip through the Illinois River valley to get to work. I've been making this drive for almost four and a half years now and I've noticed a trend. Every fall it seems that either I mirror the valley, or the valley mirrors me(I haven't figured out which just year.).

As the farm fields start to turn brown and are harvested leaving the barren browness across the valley, I tend to start withdrawing. Like the falling leaves my hope starts to fade and I start reminiscing about the year that's been, what has been and what didn't happen like I would like. It's like I go dormant just like the Earth. I wish it wasn't like this, but it just seems to happen. The days get shorter and I seem to get gloomier. Just once I wish I had something to look forward to in the fall and winter.

Maybe it's because things like hay rack rides and curling up on the couch during the winter watching a movie are more fun with someone to share the moments with. I guess the root of things is that as the natural world dies off I feel more alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment