Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Men are from Mars and Women are from...

Pluto. Yeah I know the conventional wisdom is Venus, but I think it's a bigger divide than that. Lately a few of my good friends from college and I have been talking about dating and relationships and it always seems to come back to the same topics about interpreting the person you're interested in to see what they're thinking, feeling, etc.

Obviously we're almost all too shy to outright go up to the person of interest and say, so I like you, do you like me. Although wouldn't it be nice if we all had the guts to do that and didn't have to play the interpreter game? Many books are out there to tell us that men and women don't communicate verbally the same ways and of course when you go to mostly non-verbal cues, I think we might as well be two ancient interstellar runes that the other has never seen.

So the interpretation continues onward as we analyze every move of the person we're interested in. In fact I would say we probably for the most part over analyze them. For example, a simple difference between whether or not the person initiates a conversation or if you do, can end up being the fodder for endless debate amongst friends. Or another example would be deciding whether the other person was flirting back or even if you were unconsciously flirting to begin with.

I think it all boils down to Men and Women being like the United States and the United Kingdom. As the playwright George Benard Shaw said, "England and America are two countries separated by a common language."

No comments:

Post a Comment