Monday, July 3, 2006

Tempus Fugit, Memento Mori

Having my friend die this week has really caused me to think about life and death. My first real experience with dealing with death was with my Grandma and Grandpa Viola. I was in 8th grade when Grandma died and a few years older when Grandpa died. I was sad for sure, but it really didn't hit me like some of my older cousins. Unfortunately I didn't really have the opportunity to know my Grandparents when they were more like the vibrant people that their friends and my older relatives tell me stories about them. Fortunately I have been able to get to know my Grandparents on the Story side much better. I can't fathom what it will be like when they pass on some day. I know that it will come, but I don't really want to think about it.

Since HS I have really had two people die that really affected me. The first was Dave Lescynski, my Newman director's husband. He was a mentor for me while in college. To have a man like him so strong and healthy just die suddenly was a big shock. Maybe I've gotten more emotional as I've grown older, but I definitely cried at his funeral.

Nathan's service today was very moving. I was glad the lights were dim in the theater as his theater mates took turns singing songs that he had chosen. Sitting between my mom and my grade school principal I was definitely loosing it. It's hard to think that someone my age is already dead. Like the title says, Time Flies, Remember Death.

No comments:

Post a Comment